ABOUT MINDS MATTER OF SAN FRANCISCO
Founded in 2010, Minds Matter of San Francisco (MMSF) is a college access non-profit that transforms the lives of low-income high school students through high-touch mentorship and college readiness instruction. In the past 8 years, MMSF has grown from serving 11 high-school students in its inaugural class to 82 students annually. Most notably, MMSF thrives off the power of its 250+ volunteers that contribute anywhere from 2 to 20+ hours on a weekly basis.
Minds Matter exists to amplify its students’ chances of gaining admission and graduating from our nation’s most selective 4-year colleges, resulting in the surest path out of poverty. In the US, only 41% of high-achieving low-income youth graduate college, compared to 74% of their similarly scoring, high-income peers. MMSF, despite serving students with a median family income of $26,000, is on-track for 95% of its first two classes to graduate from college -- doing so with a high-touch approach and at a fraction of the cost per student of many related organizations.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Minds Matter SF is not looking for someone to simply incrementally grow the existing organization. The vision is much more grand. MMSF is looking for an Executive Director who is ambitious, willing to think big, and is enthralled by the prospect of doing something that has the potential to completely solve the college advising problem in San Francisco. MMSF is looking for an authentically passionate, impact-driven leader to significantly scale the organization and create lasting impact for a far greater number of under resourced students. The new Executive Director will have the opportunity to join an organization that works with some of the most committed volunteers imaginable, with students that are motivated to shatter barriers and succeed, and that is already achieving industry-leading results.
The role calls for a strategy focused executive, who exemplifies strong collaborative leadership, and has the ability to get things done. This individual will be expected to build strong partnerships for the organization as well as expand the organization’s donor base to meet the needs associated with programmatic growth. The position offers an incredible chance to scale a results-driven organization and play an active role in students’ ability to graduate from selective colleges and universities.
- Strategy and impact: Develop, own, and implement strategic plans that meet impact goals and objectives created in partnership with the Board of Directors
- Inspirational leader: Authentically passionate about MMSF’s mission; inspire, lead, and motivate a large team of volunteers; recruit/develop/retain/manage the Executive Team (currently all-volunteer, potentially paid staff in future)
- Fundraising: Oversee fundraising activities to expand donor base to meet needs associated with programmatic growth. Grow operating budget by 33-50% in the next two years.
- Partnerships: Establish sustainable strategic partnerships with key stakeholders (e.g., public high schools, target universities, influential community leaders)
- Gets stuff done: Roll-up sleeves and pitch-in as necessary to execute on key business functions
Requirements / Capabilities
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment: gets excited about the opportunity to bring structure and order to ambiguity and chaos while preserving creativity
- Experience managing and leading large teams, with previous experience in a senior leadership role; background working in volunteer settings a plus
- Demonstrated ability to design and achieve organizational scale and revenue growth; experience with sales/fundraising/client-services, a plus
- Data-driven: makes decisions based on data; sets quantitative targets, is relentless about hitting them
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans
- Expert communicator: Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, and internal/external relationship development
- 10 years work experience, preferably both in private and social sectors
- MBA or equivalent business experience; MEd/MPA/MPP a plus
Compensation & Benefits
- Bay Area competitive compensation, including benefits
- Full-time employment with flexibility to work some evenings and Saturday afternoons during school year (i.e. attend most Minds Matter sessions)
- Flexible work location with ample opportunity to work-from-home
Minds Matter San Francisco has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link.
Please refrain from contacting Minds Matter directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at MMSF@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.